1. Where/how do I get application forms and instructions?

Application is made to Ohio University, not to the department directly. Once processed by the Office of Graduate Studies, your application is sent to us for evaluation. All the forms for M.S. and Ph.D. applications are online at

Please also feel free to browse our website as well to learn more about our program.


2.  What standardized tests are required, and what are the performance expectations?

For international applicants, we require the TOEFL (unless you have a degree from an English-medium university in the U.S., U.K., Canada, Australia, or New Zealand). The minimum TOEFL score for admission is 590 (paper-based), 243 (computer-based), or 96 (internet-based).

The GRE General Exam is recommended for everyone and is required unless you have a B.S. in chemical engineering from an ABET-accredited program.  There is no formal minimum score requirement on the GRE, but, obviously, the higher the better.


3.  What other admissions requirements are there?

It goes without saying that your undergraduate (and M.S.) academic performance is very important. Typically, we require at least a "B" (3.0/4.0) average or the equivalent for admission. We have higher standards for applicants without a chemical engineering degree, and typically higher grades are necessary to be competitive for financial assistance.

The Office of Graduate Studies knows how to equivalence grades from universities abroad to our grading system. We rely on them to do so. Therefore, we MUST have an official application complete with certified transcripts to make a decision on admission or financial assistance.

Occasionally, someone with below-standard academic performance qualifies for graduate admission based on significant experience after graduation. If this sounds like you, please contact our graduate chair or a faculty member in your area of research interest directly.

We invite inquiries from potential students with a sincere interest in our primary research focus areas:

  1. Bioengineering
  2. Energy and the Environment
  3. Inorganic Materials

However, we cannot make admission decisions without an official application. Please don't ask us to do so. Applications must go first to the Ohio University Office of Graduate Studies, where the supporting documents are evaluated. Then, they come to the department for a decision. This first step can take up to four weeks. Admissions decisions are made as applications come in, typically within two weeks of your application arriving in the department.

If you do not already have an M.S. degree in chemical engineering, you can be admitted to either the M.S. or the Ph.D. program. To be admitted directly to the Ph.D. without an M.S., you must have a bachelor's degree in chemical engineering with at least a "B+" average and a score above 700 on the quantitative portion of the GRE.


4.  What about financial aid?

Decisions on financial assistance are made separately. For students starting in Fall, financial assistance decisions are typically made in March. This is when we allocate permanent funds held by the department. An offer of financial assistance could come at any other time if a faculty member is awarded a research grant and if an applicant is a fit for the research. We keep a note of your research interests for cases like these. You will hear from us via e-mail if you are admitted, and if you are offered financial aid.


5.  Here are some specifics on application and financial aid decision deadlines.

February 1 is the deadline for priority financial assistance consideration for the following Fall. This allows time for the university to process your application before we make financial aid decisions in March. Applications received after February 1 will not have first priority for financial aid.

March 1 is the deadline for international applications without financial assistance for a Fall start. This allows plenty of time for you to receive an I-20 and a visa. We will not rush production of an I-20 for a late applicant.

Because there is no need for an I-20 or a visa, U.S. citizens and permanent residents can apply as late as two months prior to the start of the quarter. However, such a late applicant is unlikely to receive financial assistance. "Financial assistance" means a stipend (salary) and a tuition scholarship. If you look up the estimated cost of attending Ohio University here,, the tuition scholarship will cover the "Instructional Fees" and the "Nonresident Surcharge".

We are forbidden to give a tuition scholarship without a stipend.


6.  What about letters of recommendation?

There is no required form for recommendation letters. Electronic letters of recommendation are only accepted via the official Ohio University online system available with the online application.






This page last revised on August 2, 2006 by Daniel Gulino